Looking for a healthy Super Bowl appetizer? These savory roasted butternut squash rounds are the perfect combination of sweet roasted squash and savory tea-infused butter. The recipe comes from this month’s Sunset magazine.
Preheat the oven to 425. Heat 3 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp Rooibos tea in a small frying pan over medium heat. When the butter foams, turn off the heat, remove the pan and let steep for ten minutes. Then strain the butter thru a fine sieve into a bowl.
Cut 2 medium-large butternut squashes into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Then cut off the skin, using 7 or 8 cuts, to create an octagon. Put parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets and lay the rounds out on top.
Pulverize 1 1/2 tsp rooibos tea leaves and mix with a tsp sea salt. Brush the tea butter onto the rounds, then sprinkle with the tea salt and add some pepper. Roast at 425 for about 25 minutes, until very soft. Serve sprinkled with chives.
- 2 medium-large butternut squash
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp rooibos tea leaves
- tsp sea salt
- chopped chives (if you’d like)
- Ham and Cheese Empanadas (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Cream Cheese Pickle Wraps with Prosciutto (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Sage and Gingersnap-Pecan Crust (thedailymeal.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)